Snacks: Beautiful Raw Brownies
Wheat-free, gluten-free, vegan, raw food
Serves: 8 to 10 brownies
- 3 cups raw walnuts
- 1 cup raw almonds
- 2/3 cup raisins
- 2/3 cup Medjool dates
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon (Ceylon variety)
- 2 tsp vanilla paste or extract
- 2 tsp ground anise powder
- pinch cayenne pepper
- pinch Himalayan salt or Celtic sea salt
- 2 to 3 tsp cold water
- 1/2 cup pure maple or agave syrup
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/3 cup raw carob powder
- Process nuts to a meal in a food processor but don’t over-process.
- Add raisins and dates and process to combine.
- Add remaining ingredients, except the water and process till sticky.
- Transfer to mixing bowl and add water. Mix well with hands. It should resemble a dough. If not wet enough to form a dough, add a little more water.
- Press into a baking-paper-lined cake tin.
- Make frosting by blending all ingredients in a food processor till smooth. Then spread over brownie and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours until set.
- Cut into pieces and enjoy.
Tip: You can use activated walnuts or almonds in this recipe and these can be found in a health food shop. They are a bit better for you but I use raw nuts and it’s still very good for you.