Lunch: Calming Carrot and Cumin Soup
Dairy-free, gluten-free, wheat-free, vegan-friendly
- 1 tbsp cold-pressed olive oil
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 600 g carrots, peeled, cut into 2-cm dice
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled, finely chopped
- 3 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 lt hot home-made vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds, toasted for garnish
- 12 chives, cut into small pieces
- Himalayan salt or Celtic sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Gently heat oil and slowly cook onions taking care not to burn.
- Add carrots, garlic, cumin and turmeric and cook on very low heat for five minutes, stirring once or twice.
- Add hot stock and cook till carrot is soft.
- Add one third of the soup to a processor or blender and blend till smooth. Repeat with the last two thirds of the soup in two batches. Return to saucepan and season.
- To serve, heat to almost boiling and check consistency. Add more stock if too thick. Serve with toasted cumin seeds and chives sprinkled on top.
Tip: As with all my recipes, you can use celery seeds or powder, kelp powder or dulse granules to replace the salt. Use vegetable stock to make this soup vegan-friendly.