Dinner: Salmon with Balsamic Beetroot
Dairy-free, gluten-free, wheat-free
- 4 x 160 g pieces of salmon
- 1 tbsp cold-pressed olive oil
- 8 cooked baby beetroots or 1 large beetroot, sliced
- handful basil, shredded at the last minute
- handful wild rocket or watercress (if you can get it)
- handful pine nuts
- 2 tbsp cold-pressed olive oil
- 1/2 lemon, juice only
- 2 tbsp good balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp creamed horseradish or small piece fresh horseradish, grated
- Himalayan salt or Celtic sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Place salmon on a lightly oiled tray. Season and drizzle with a little more oil.
- Place under a pre-heated grill or in a pre-heated oven (190°C) and grill or bake for about 5 to 10 minutes until cooked. Salmon changes colour to pale pink when it’s cooked. When cooked you can feel the flesh which becomes firmer.
- Place beetroot slices, marjoram or basil leaves, and pine nuts in a bowl. In a separate bowl or jug, add olive oil, lemon juice, balsamic and horseradish and whisk to combine. Add seasoning if you think it's needed.
- Pour dressing over beetroot and toss lightly.
- Serve next to salmon and sprinkle beetroot with some rocket or watercress leaves.
Tip: As with all my recipes, you can use celery seeds or powder, kelp powder or dulse granules to replace the salt. Mackerel and sardines are great to use in this recipe too.