Dessert: Mum's Favourite Orange and Almond Cake
Dairy-free, gluten-free, wheat-free, ovo-vegetarian
- 2 large navel oranges
- 5 extra large, free-range eggs
- 250 g raw sugar
- 250 g ground almonds
- rice bran or olive oil spray
- Pre-heat oven to 170°C. Spray the base and sides of a non-stick free form cake tin with oil. Line with baking paper too if you don't trust your cake tin!
- Place whole oranges in a large saucepan and cover with plenty of water. Bring to the boil and simmer for approximately 1 hour, ensuring oranges remain covered at all times with plenty of water.
- When oranges are soft, drain and cool. Chop oranges into quarters, discard any seeds, then place the chunks into a food processor and purée until smooth.
- Whisk eggs and sugar until thick, white and creamy, and add cooled orange purée and then carefully fold in ground almonds taking care not to knock out all the air.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake for 1 hour. Test with skewer which should come out clean when removed from centre of cake.
Tip: Cut into triangular pieces and serve warm with some fresh orange slices and fresh berries.