Soup: Chickpea and Kale Soup
- 2 tbsp cold-pressed olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 3 stalks celery, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 400 g can chickpeas, drained, rinsed
- 1 medium potato, cut into 2-cm cubes
- 800 ml home-made chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 bay leaf (fresh or dried)
- 4 leaves kale, finely sliced (use 1 large leek if kale not in season)
- Himalayan salt or Celtic sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Gently heat olive oil and add onion and celery. Cook gently over medium heat until soft.
- Add garlic and cook, stirring for 30 seconds.
- Add chickpeas and potato and cook, stirring for 1 minute.
- Add stock and bay leaf to pot, cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until potato is soft. Then add kale and cook for about 2 to 3 minutes.
Tip: I like to eat my soup as a broth but you can remove the bay leaf, and purée to desired consistency (in batches if necessary) in food processor. Make sure you use vegetable stock to make this vegan-friendly.