Soup: Mum's Celery Soup
Dairy-free, gluten -free, vegan-friendly
- 2 tbsp cold-pressed olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely sliced
- 1/2 head of celery, including the leaves, finely sliced
- 4 sprigs thyme, leaves stripped
- 1 lt hot, home-made chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 tsp celery seed powder
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Gently heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion, celery and thyme leaves. Cook, stirring gently, for about 5 minutes or until onion is soft but not browned.
- Add stock and bring to the boil, then cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Blend the mixture using a stick blender or carefully ladle into a food processor or liquidiser. Don't overfill the machine as it will spill out and is likely to burn you.
- Check seasoning, adding more celery seed powder and pepper if necessary. Also you can add more hot stock if too thick.
Tip: My mum used to give me celery soup when I was ill as a child. I perpetually suffered from tonsillitis and glandular fever and couldn’t swallow. Mum gave me celery soup and a glass of lemonade with a teaspoon of sugar in it to remove the bubbles. The bubbles hurt my poor throat – ah bless! Now I make soup for my lovely mum when she is unwell with her MS. How life changes! Use vegetable stock in place of chicken to make this soup vegan-friendly.