Breakfast: Home-made Granola
- 2 cups raw organic oats, wheat or barley
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon (Ceylon variety)
- 1 tsp stevia or 3 tsp xylitol to taste
- 100 ml cold-pressed olive oil
- 2 tsp alcohol-free vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1/2 cup goji berries
- 1 handful acerola berries
- Pre-heat the oven to 160ºC.
- In a large bowl, mix all the dry ingredients except the berries
- Add sweetener, oil and vanilla and mix well so that all liquid is absorbed and the granola is shiny.
- Spread granola onto a suitably sized non-stick baking tray, and then pop in the oven for about 10 minutes.
- Take the granola out of the oven and using a spatula, turn the granola over and bake for a further 10 minutes or until fairly dry and brown. Don't allow to burn!
- Remove from oven and stir in the berries.
- Allow to cool before serving, and store in an airtight box when cool (keeps for up to 2 weeks. You can freeze it for up to 3 months for longer storage).
Tip: This can be served with low-fat, unsweetened yoghurt and some fresh berries or fruit from your list.